Tuesday, February 20, 2007

20 lives to save 200....

Those are odds I can live with!

Anyway...

I'm bored with the way my life is. This is no secret, because I complain about it often. But I don't know how to change it. It's like the very ability is outside the realm of my understanding. But, regardless of how much my life bores me, I've got this time, so I figure I should do something with it. Which brings me to today's post. Stuff isn't falling in my lap anymore, so, I'm going to start doing everything I've always wanted to do before I die, just to fill the empty time. So I'm going to make a list, and post it here, because I damn well want to.

Things I want to do before I die:

-Write, and get published, at least one book.

-Tour the cathedrals in Europe. Any cathedrals will do. So long as I get to see Gaudi's stuff in Spain.

-Go to New York; visit the art museums, see some broadway plays, and go into Macy's.

-There's some city in New England that has a festival where they light the river on fire. So, go experience that. First, find out what city that is.

-Go to Montanna and drive the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park.

-Fill a vial with glacial run-off in Canada's Glacier Provincial Park. Keep the vial in my room.

-Make a prayer out of trees, flowers, or bushes, and watch it grow.

-Get married in Las Vegas.

-Get married a second time (to the same person, optimally) on a cliff in the caribbean, and have the reception on the beach. Wear a bikini under my wedding dress so I'm ready for swimming. Also, make all the drinks into holy versions of their former selves.

-Visit Ayer's Rock in Australia.

-Go shopping in a typical Asian city. Buy the most bizarre clothing and crap I can find, and wear it frequently in the US.

-Translate my poems into another language, while keeping the cadence the same.

-Start a food fight in a crowded restaraunt. Get tossed out, but not arrested.

-See the aztec (or mayan?) temples in south america

-Visit stonehenge.

-Tell my brother that I love him, no matter how much of a delinquent he was or is.

-Ambush my coworkers with waterguns.

-Have a baby. Or two.

-Raise aforementioned child(ren). Love them with all my heart. Teach them to give daps.

-Do a Zoo Tour of America. Make a definitive decision as to which zoo kicks more ass.

-Learn to take compliments!

-Bake a wedding cake.

-Make a wedding dress.

-Stick it to "The Man"

-Die with as little regrets as possible

-Be proposed to. Seriously. By someone who isn't a total douche. And wants to get married.

-Drive through Death Valley

-Explore Utah and New Mexico via car.

-Kayak in the Everglades.

-Dance on a table

-Have sex on a beach

-Have a water balloon fight in the street


That's all I can think of for now. But that's a lot. Enough to keep me busy for a while, at least. Anyone who wants to join me is always welcome.

5 comments:

Michal said...

I see your list primarily includes travel and family :D. If you come with us to Poland, you can see the gorgeous cathedrals there. If you come in the spring during easter, you can experience Poland national holiday where anyone walking in the street is assaulted with water balloons and water guns. Oh, and we could translate your poetry into Polish. That would be getting three items off your list in one trip!

And, in terms of your life condition, there is something I want to say. But, I don't want to sound arrogant, or whatever other negative thing you can think of when I say this. So just bear with me.

When I was at Odiyan, I learned of many things. One of the things I learned, is how it is possible to understand clearly our condition in life, and also what to do in order to change or improve it. Like I said, bear with me. ...that doesn't mean I have become enlightened or even succeeded at doing those things. However, I learned that there is a way, and the results are observable and testable. And if you like, I can share with you what little I know, which may only serve to point you in the direction of further inquiry. Yet I can tell you where you can find those answers.

The only thing I can say with confidence is that it is possible, and it's possible for anyone if they wish to do it.

TheHate said...

woa, woa. seriously? a polish holiday where people are assaulted with water balloons? if you're serious, sign me up, b/c i totally have to see that.

Michal said...

Yeah, no joke. It's calld "Smingus Dingus." I'm so not making this up. Takes place on the monday after Easter.

Michal said...

So, just to clear things up, here is a good account of what Smingus Dingus is like in Poland.

Michal said...

Okay, here's a little bit more. I promise I'll stop soon...

"In Poland, traditionally, boys will awaken girls early in the morning and douse them with water and strike them about the legs with long thin twigs made from willow, birch or decorated tree branches (palmy wielkanocne). This practice is possibly connected to a pre-Christian, pagan fertility rite, that seems in line with the Ancient Roman Lupercalia, although the earliest documented records of Dyngus Day in Poland are from 15th century, almost half a millennium after Poland adopted Christianity.

Early in the Polish evolution of the tradition, the Dyngus custom was clearly differentiated from Smigus: Dyngus was the exchange of gifts (usually eggs, often decorated like pisankas), under the threat of water splashing if one party did not have any eggs ready, while Smigus (from Smigac, to whoosh, ie make a whipping noise) referred to the striking."

Taken from here. A fuller explanation of the holiday can be found in the Wikipedia article here, which includes more information and says that it is also celebrated in North Carolina! What the hell!?!