Wednesday, March 21, 2007

O RLY



This is an artist's rendition of my family tree. Assuming the artist can't draw or use MS paint at all. Ahem.

So, it's story time again. Many years ago, when I returned to the mainland US and got aquainted with my extended family, it happened that my mother's cousin did a genealogy thing of their family tree. (It's worth mentioning that my mother's name is Price, and my father's is Gray.) Well, there amongst the Price ancestors was a bunch of Grays. Interesting, but hardly proof of anything, since they are both popular names. About 5 years later, I went to Nebraska to lay to rest my father's father. While going through his belongings, I discovered an old black-and-white photograph of a family reunion. This was amazing, since my father and his siblings claim to know nothing about their extended family or the origins there of. All the people in the photograph were named, and amongst all the Grays was a family of, you guessed it, Prices. Well, that was too coincidental for me. So when I returned home I told my mother we were inbred. She shrugged it off.

Two days ago, my brother got a phone call from a woman named Linda who claimed to be a family member and was looking for my dad. There's no Linda in either of our families that we know of. Later, he checked his messages, and there was one from Linda for my father, asking if he'd gotten the DNA test done yet. My brother freaked out, thinking maybe he had an illegitamate sibling or something, and called my dad for explanations. Here's the deal: Linda, a complete stranger, decided to do a genealogy of her family. Well, turns out she IS a distant relative. Her family and my dad's family are branches of the same bloodline. She also uncovered a scandal that we had been unaware of: my father's parents were COUSINS. Not 1st cousins, but cousins nonetheless. And, to make it worse, they were from Raleigh, North Carolina! So. We ARE inbred. And possibly in more ways than one.

Interesting....

You think I'd be more freaked out, but meh.

In other news, my grandmother is in the hospital. If things go south, I'm probably gonna end up out of town for a few days. I really don't want things to go south. >.<

1 comment:

Michal said...

Fascinating. I thinks that really interesting :D.

I once had a crush on my cousin, ha ha!