Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Denturistic.

So I have a recurring nightmare-theme of losing my teeth. For some reason, I have a terrifying reaction to the idea or suggestion of losing my teeth, and I'm not sure why. As a kid, I really hated going through that stage. I hated everything about it; the wiggling of loose teeth, the blood, and the gaping hole where something should be...it was so disgusting. And last night, again, I dreamed of losing my teeth. It was one of those regular dreams where I was walking around, talking to people, and all of a sudden teeth just started falling out, and I kept spitting them into my hand and trying to hide what was going on. It's so bizarre. I mean, granted, most of my dreams are bizarre, and are usually generically themed with loss of control, or imminent death, but this tooth thing is flat out weird.

So I'm interested...I know recurring nightmares are common...so what's your recurring nightmare? Mine is teeth, and the losing of. What's your demon that haunts your sleep?

3 comments:

Michal said...

To be honest, I do not often dream. When I do, I can never remember my dreams, so it's almost like they don't even happen, or they're just faded and distant.

The only nightmare that I ever had more than once is a pretty standard chase scenario where no matter how fast you go the inevitable usually seems to catch up with you. That's normally the end of the dream too. But I haven't had that one in many years.

The last dream I do remember that was unpleasant I had probably a little over a week ago. I've been working on my game you see, and at that time I was making a lot of the sprites for it. This involved doing pixel art, so there were a lot of magnified pixels on my monitor then.

So that one night, I was having this unpleasant dream of being in a world of pixels. Huge monochromatic pixels, and pixel creatures. The pixels were angry. Some of them were sad. And I think some of them wanted something from me. But they couldn't speak, as pixels normally don't. They could only pixelate, and I unfortunately didn't understand that form of communication. They are not very happy pixels.

So there you go. One of those rare occasions when I actually remembered my dream.

Scavinger said...

From what I know, dreams of losing one's teeth are generally about fear of growing old and losing power.

Nikki said...

I've had a recurring dream that's been going on for years. I'm lost in a strange house, and wandering through the rooms. Sometimes I encounter wild animals as I wander from room to room. Each time I have this dream, it's the same house, and I feel the same anxiety as I try to get out.

Usually as I dream, I grind my teeth. Apparently, I grind my teeth almost every night.

If my teeth were smart, I'd be having a dream more like yours...